Philippines Angeles Mission
November 2012 - May 2014

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Making Homemade Ice Cream

A couple of months ago the R S President, Bete ( the one washing dishes) ask me if I could teach them how to make homemade ice cream. I told her yes but did they have an ice cream freezer. She said yes someone in the branch had one. So I told her to find out how big it was so I would know how much to make. Finally a couple of weeks ago I pinned her down about the size and found out she is talking about the freezer in the top of a refridgerator!!  Well it does freeze ice cream so I can see why she would think that. Anyway I thought and thought and remembered the ice cream we made up camping in baggies or in tin cans so that is what we did.

The men stayed out while the message was given and then they burst on the scene and it was caous and confusion from then on but eventually everyone got a bag of ice cream.
 

Elder Tsunoda was in the thick of it! Helping and eating.

We ran out of ice before we got to the tin can method so it never did freeze to more than a slush so they drank it like a milk shake. They don't have good milk and cream like we do, just the boxed kind so I found recipes using sweetened condensed milk. I only got to taste the chocolate but it was very good..

When the ice was gone they tried putting baggies down in the icy water to freeze some more.

Two of the sisters enjoying a visit after ice cream.

Our daughter in law Lisa taught us to eat soda crackers with ice cream and we thought that was different but these people added a whole new meaning to ice cream sandwich. The RS Pres brought small dinner rolls and they would open those up and fill them with ice cream! The ice cream that melted before they could eat it was soaked up with the bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment